Saturday, September 7, 2013

Art Linkletter was right

Kids do say the darndest things! As things were rounding up at Future Foundations Family Center yesterday afternoon a darling little girl, probably in the first grade, was sitting next to me in the bleachers. All of a sudden she exclaimed, "Wow this has been a really long day; first I had school and then Futures!" Although she made me laugh I clearly saw her point. Things have certainly changed since I was her age. I had a whole lot more freedom than kids have today. It was also true of my three children, of which the youngest just turned 34. The main difference is that I and they got to go home after school and pretty much do whatever we chose to do. I realize that children are very lucky to have "safe" places to go after a hard day of school, but it is a substitute for a real life caring parent. In my opinion an elementary school age child should not have the need to say- "Wow this has been a really long day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment