Friday, September 6, 2013

A new adventure

You may have noticed my absence this week. It has been due to starting a new adventure and has caused me to readjust my time. A couple of weeks ago I was given the opportunity to become a "sub"; supervising youth at our family center when one of the regular staff is gone. The first week was two days, the second three and this week I moved up to four and my title changed from sub to regular staff. I took the place of a high school student who thought he was indispensable and could show up whenever he felt like it. Surprise! It seems my entire life has been preparing for this job. When my boys were young I did babysitting then when they entered school I spent a lot of time helping with PTA projects and did a stint as a Cub Scout Den Mother. After my daughter started school I became a permanent room mother for whatever grade she was in. Moving on up, when she was a teenager I was an Advisory Board member and Mother Advisor for the Masonic group she belonged to. A few years ago I briefly tried out my wings as a Foster Grandparent for the school system. Finally, as many of you know, for the last two summers I have coordinated a writing camp for grades 3-6 at the same family center that I am now employed at. You may have noticed that it took a long time to actually get paid for what I have spent years doing for the experience. ...And my dear mother once accused me of not having "stick-to-it-ness". Wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment