Saturday, April 14, 2012

Seeds


When you plant a seed in fertile ground and the climate permits it will grow and produce an abundance of choice products. When you plant a good thought in a fertile mind it will grow and produce an abundance of good things. What you plant is what you get.

"What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action" is a very true quote from theologian Meister Eckhart.

Our thoughts are food for our mind and they affect our feelings, which are our body's reaction to them. Negative thoughts equal negative feelings and they can literally make you sick when you dwell on them. I believe our negative thoughts are the result of "thinking from behind". Things like, "I remember this experience from the past and it didn't turn out very well last time." Instead of learning the lesson the original experience offered we often freeze and do nothing out of fear of failure.

We had a Friday the 13th yesterday and I am wondering how many people were afraid to get out of bed and live their lives because of the negative thoughts attached to the date. I just laughed and went on with my day as if it were no different than any other day. I was rewarded with a positive experience telling me once again that I am doing just fine taking care of my own life.

I had filled up my gas tank, using my debit card, and headed for home. Upon arriving I checked the receipt and saw that the amount for the gas was double what it should have been. Gas is going up, but come on! I was charged $64.94 for 8.43 gallons. I immediately returned to the station and calmly asked for a refund, which I was cheerfully given. If I had not thought to check the receipt when I did it could have resulted in a serious problem later on not so easily remedied. I congratulated myself for having developed good habits about my finances. Thinking is good!

An expression that I truly dislike is, "We have always done it that way." It goes along with the also irritating, "I am who I am." For me they both produce a picture of a very tall stone wall with not even a tiny crack to allow light or new growth in.

I am always grateful when I am given the opportunity to rethink or redo. While it is true that we can't change our past thoughts about anything or anyone we can treat them as seeds to grow more positive thoughts about our today and tomorrows.

As Buddha once said, "The heart is like a garden. It can grow compassion or fear, resentment or love. What seeds will you grow?"


No comments:

Post a Comment