Friday, July 23, 2021

Planning ahead

Waiting for the results of the New Mexico vaccine lottery still going on I decided to make plans in the event that I would win $250,000. The first thing I would do is put $100,000 in a separate checking account to be given away, one piece at a time. That would leave $150,000 for me to keep. When I married my second husband, now deceased, he had an insurance policy worth exactly that amount. He immediately changed the beneficiary to me. We were married for 27 years before we mutually divorced. 

He never removed my name from the policy, but after the divorce added our daughter. I don't know what happened to the original money, but over the years the amount of the policy was drastically depleted. It ended up being five thousand dollars at the time of his death.

I had every intention of sharing the money with my daughter, but that is not what happened. She kept it all. Because the policy wasn't mentioned in our divorce papers the company decided I was no longer eligible to be a beneficiary. Our daughter offered to share the money with other relatives, but never approached me. 

So I am thinking that after all these years taking care of myself alone it is my turn to get something back. Of course it may not happen, but just in case I thought it was a good idea to plan ahead. I have many plans to share the remaining $100,000 and it is something that would make me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment