Thursday, November 30, 2017

Never assume

For the last three weeks I have assumed that I had artery disease, in other words a blocked artery. I had a cardio echo and a  cardio stress test that led my cardiologist to believe this was true.Yesterday I had a cardiac catheterization which proved my doctor assumed wrong. As the result of yesterday's procedure he concluded there is nothing wrong with my arteries.

I could be angry but I choose to be grateful that I don't have a clogged artery. Yesterday was pretty much an unexpected vacation. I had a very  nice nurse who stayed with me most of the day, it was kind of fun being awake during the procedure and it was performed at a hospital that was only a couple of years old. I had no idea it even existed.

Because my doctor used a fairly new closure called an angio-seal to close the catheter entrance, I only had to lay flat for three hours instead of six and was able to come home instead of staying over night.

The only bad part of the procedure was that the nurse had a problem inserting an IV line that actually worked. Today the top of my hand is sore and a little bruised because of a failed attempt.

It appears that I am finally done with all of the tests, probes and invasions into my body and I can now get on with my life. It has taught me (I hope) as Don Miguel Ruiz's Four Agreements suggest, Never Assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment