Friday, October 13, 2017

Checking off the list

Yesterday I had a routine mammogram, which may be the last one for me. I haven't decided yet. In any case it will be the last one done by my favorite CGH technician who will retire in a few months. It made yesterday's appointment a little sad. To mark over twenty years of service I gave her one of my first published books, signed of course. I know she will enjoy the 30 stories in part two featuring the lives of local residents. I'm sure at least some of them might have been her patients.

Tomorrow I get to have the new experience of an open MRI to find out for sure what is going on with my lower back. I checked out the online site and watched the video and it doesn't look too intimidating. It only takes about 30 minutes. For some reason I keep picturing some of the contraptions I endured during radiation when I had cancer 28 years ago. I survived that so this should be nothing to worry about.The video said I could even watch a TV program during the procedure to help pass the time.

That reminds me of a surgery I had in 2011. I wasn't allowed to eat anything for almost two weeks. I kept watching the cooking programs during the afternoon. It was a great way to go on a diet!

The procedure I am really worried about is the possibility of an echo cardiogram and stress test, possibly next week, to make sure my heart is healthy. I know it's beating but that's not good enough for the new cardiologist I am seeing. In preparation for the test I just renewed my fitness room membership for another year so I will be able to use the treadmill. I have an exercise bike, but it hasn't been used much lately.

So that's the focus of my life for the present and near future. I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment