Sunday, October 1, 2017

A path to the past

Sometimes things happen that just make me shake my head in wonder. Something caused me to go to an old jewelry box today and look inside. The first thing I pulled out was a very old bracelet etched with the head of an Eskimo. I knew it had been engraved by my great uncle but I always thought he had made it for me. I have had it for years, but don't know how or why. Sort of like the huge family Bible that once belonged to my great grandmother, Clarissa, in Belgium. Why me?

Along with the bracelet I picked up another old piece of jewelry. It was a child's necklace containing a picture of my maternal grandfather William Johnston (1886-1918). That piece I knew had belonged to my mother, but how or why I have it I do not know.

Oh back to the Eskimo bracelet. I had never noticed that on the back was the name and address of my paternal grandmother, Beatrix Halverson (1884-1957).


The picture is a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea. Now I have to figure out what these two people, one on each side of my family tree, are trying to tell me .I will probably never know why I have the family history items.Oh and to add to this I also have my  grandmother's Hummel collection that she treasured all of her adult life.

Why me? I don't really know, but it is a lot like a path to the past. Possibly it is because someone knew I would never sell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment