Sunday, February 16, 2014

Playing a good game

I have spent the last few days eagerly watching a youth basketball tournament that my grandson was participating in. His team, the Bulls, did a wonderful job and amazed everyone because they had not won a game all season. The team ended up playing 5 games. They lost their second last night, knocking them out of the tournament.

My grandson was changed to this new team this year because of a coach who rarely let him play last year. How are you going to get better if you sit on the sidelines? Some coaches seem to believe just because a player is small they can't play well. I have news for those miss informed souls- they can shoot just as many baskets as a taller player if given a chance.

Rants over back to the tournament!

I have been very impressed with his new coach. Even though his team never won a game he always told them, "it isn't whether you win or lose it's how you play the game that counts". Whatever the score was he encouraged them.

During the tournament I was also impressed with his compassion. Whenever a player was hurt he was right there to give his assistance. I noticed that his attitude of caring also showed up in his players when they had been the cause of someone accidentally being injured, whether it was one of their own or a member of the opposing team. The look of concern showed on their faces.

I know this coach has made a big difference in my grandson's athletic life and I hope he sticks around to do the same for many other young players for years to come. Youth sports need coaches just like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment