Monday, September 24, 2012

Eyes wide open

I pretty much have spent my life volunteering for one thing or another. It's a way to get an education without having to pay for it. Because I don't get paid in money I don't have anything to declare as income. I'd like to see the IRS take something from nothing! It looks like I walked right into another no pay job with my eyes wide open.

This morning I met with the activity director at our local nursing home to set up the details to start a writing group for the residents. She had made a comment that really stuck in my mind. It was, "They didn't come here to die."

Most residents simply need assistance to care for themselves. Their minds also need help to focus on positive things and not dwell on the fact that they are living in a nursing home. I am very excited that my writing group has been given the opportunity to bring a little light into the lives of the residents. We are also looking forward to hearing the stories that they have stored in their minds and helping them put them on paper so that they will not be lost to future generations.

Personally I can almost guarantee that this will be another lesson in patience and tolerance for me. Like I said volunteering is a chance to get an education- free. Who knows we might just uncover a wonderful writer on our journey. In any case I am entering this new experience with eyes wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment