Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Dreams

A member of my online group, "Answer This" asked the question, "When do you give up on your dreams? After giving it much thought, the following is my answer.

I have always felt bad that I do not remember any dreams I had for my future, as a child. I probably had some, I just don’t remember them. Graduating from high school in 1956 I had no idea what I was supposed to do with my life. My mother pretty much put a damper on the idea of college. She thought it was only necessary for a female if she wanted a career. So much for that idea.
It looked like my only option was to get married. So at 23 I was married and had a son, followed by another five years later. Deciding I didn’t need to be married to a womanizing jackass I filed for divorce after thirteen years of putting up with the jerk. One would think I had learned a life lesson but, I soon married again and seven years later gave birth to my only daughter. Apparently I must have done something right as all three are now adults. None of them have ever been arrested or used drugs, as far as I know. They went on to lead their own lives.
Another divorce followed. I guess the only dream I have ever had was to become a writer. I had to wait for all that other nonsense to be over to accomplish that. Free at last, of a husband and the responsibility of children I began my life as a columnist for our local newspaper. Who knew I could write? I sure didn’t!
As the years went by I published two hard cover books, now out of print, and four Kindle books, on Amazon. I am in the process of turning the best of the bunch into paperback books. I find it very strange that I have never cared if my writing made money. My purpose in writing is to share my experiences so that others facing similar challenges might benefit.
There is one unfulfilled dream that I have though. I have always felt that my writing would attract a soul who knew me as well or better than I know myself. Since my life is not over, I am still waiting for that to happen.
 
After digesting my answer for awhile I realized something. My children are no longer my responsibility! Damn it took me long enough to get that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment