Sunday, May 30, 2021

Memorial Day

This morning I got a message from an ancestry site I belong to informing me that my maternal grandfather, William Ott Johnston, died in uniform in 1918. Knowing that he died of a virus on a U.S. military base and never served a day of his life in his uniform, I am wondering does that allow him to be honored on this day? I guess it is a matter of how technical you want to get. It has only been in recent years that I even knew my grandfather's name and assumed he died in some foreign country, while serving the United States. I could not find any record of where he was buried because those records had been burned in a fire several years ago. I finally did find the details and now know he is buried in Bellingham Washington. Wow! the stories I made up, not knowing the facts.


No comments:

Post a Comment