Sunday, March 18, 2018

Are you my mother/father

Since I had my DNA tested recently I have come across the names of two relatives who were given up for adoption as babies.

The first one answered a question about what happened to a baby I had known existed for years. As it turned out he was perfectly happy with his adoptive parents and wanted nothing to do with his biological mother/family. After his death his daughter decided that she wanted to know if she had biological paternal relatives and when she found out she did she created a new family tree. She used much of the personal information I had given her. I considered it an invasion of my life. She also couldn't keep her mouth shut and couldn't resist plastering information about the situation all over Facebook. I ended the relationship by telling her I wanted nothing to do with her. She refused to accept my decision and I was forced to block her from continuing on the path she had chosen. That's the end of that story, at least I sincerely hope so!

Now for the second much nicer cousin's story. Finding a male name who was supposed to be a 3rd cousin I sent him a message. He gratefully responded saying he had been adopted as a baby. He knew his biological mother's name, but not his father's. I strongly felt I was supposed to help him. All I knew was where his father's family originated from, which gave me a clue as to the part of my family he belonged to. I began digging. To this day I have no idea how I could possibly know that his great grandfather was also my great uncle, but I did. This information finally led me to discover not only the name of his father but his grandmother, great grandparents, great great grandparents and great great great grandfather. I also found out where they are buried. His father died in 2016. I have all this information in an envelope, stamped, sealed and ready to mail.This was all done without having to involve anyone else or make the information public. I suspect that in this case I had universal help with my mission!

When I discovered the father's name I added that to my current family tree because he was my 2nd cousin. I didn't go any further because the rest of the story is not mine to share.

I  personally believe that all adopted children should be allowed to know who their biological parents were if they so desire to have that information. After all they were not dropped to earth by a stork! What they do with that information is solely up to the adopted child.

No comments:

Post a Comment