Thursday, September 28, 2017

And then came the rain

Just when I was bragging about our great weather here in Grants, NM the sky opened up and it started to rain. Okay it didn't rain for 40 days and 40 nights, but it did get everything soaked for two days. We did need the rain because it will keep potential wild fires at bay.

Last night we found a puddle of water in the middle of my office floor. Not seeing any evidence of a leak anywhere we temporarily blamed the dog. After all he had been in the house all day because of the weather. So I cleaned it up and didn't think anymore about it.

This morning my bathroom floor was all wet and I first thought the toilet had overflowed. Nope. The problem was a small leak in the ceiling. After adding a bucket to catch the water and cleaning up the mess I wondered into my office where I found a new puddle. After checking the ceiling I found the source. Since I had recently paid a so called repairman to check out the condition of the roof I was more than a little angry.

There really was no point in getting angry, it was what it was. Then I thought of all those pictures I had seen of people in Puerto Rico and Texas walking around in water up to their waist. They didn't have leaks in their roofs to deal with, they didn't even have roofs over their heads.

Knowing it is unusual for us to get so much rain in a couple of days I sent up a silent prayer for it to stop. Just maybe we could squeak by this winter and deal with the problem next spring. In the meantime I can do some research on a new roof and see what I can afford.

No more rain please!

P.S. I did apologize to my dog, Ejay this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment