Saturday, August 1, 2015

Back to the present

For the last week or so I have been getting my house ready for post surgery living by pretending it is already happening. I have been living in the future and taking a what if attitude. With my surgery three weeks away it is now time to switch back to the present, as I have several pre-surgery appointments to deal with before the big day.

Thanks to generous friends I have the loan of a walker, an adjustable cane, a raised toilet seat and I just purchased a shower stool and a safety bar for the bath and a grabber. My living room furniture has been rearranged, creating an uncluttered path through the house from my bedroom to my office, giving me a clear area for daily walking; which I have been told is the only rehab necessary following a hip replacement. There are of course, a few exercises done while laying on the bed to strengthen various muscles. A friend who recently had knee surgery suggested I start those now instead of waiting until after the surgery. I took her advice and can already see some improvement in mobility and a little less pain.

My kitchen also took on an adjustment of sorts. I kept imagining how I would reach things without the temporary ability to bend at the waist, which is a rehab no no for several weeks. As a result, things I use every day, like pots and pans and certain dishes, were moved to an easier reach position. More than once I asked, "why didn't I do that before?".

My house is as ready as it's going to be. I wish I was! I feel much like a mother waiting for the birth date of her first child. I go between wanting to get this experience over with and not wanting it to happen at all.

It is time to get back to the present and live each of the remaining 20 days until my surgery as they occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment