Friday, November 9, 2012

Sharing and caring

It has been a month since members of our writing group started volunteering at our local nursing home. Our original purpose was to start a writing group with some of the residents. Things didn't quite work out according to our plans. We soon realized that due to physical challenges the residents just were not capable of writing. By our second meeting I decided we needed to come up with another name for the group for reference purposes and "Sharing and Caring" was agreed upon.

Writing is only one method of communicating. Verbally sharing experiences, thoughts and ideas works just as well and is less painful for the physically challenged. After our third meeting with the residents I realized that they were just as interested in our experiences as we were in theirs. The more we shared the more willing they were to relax and share too.

One of the first things we discussed was, "what is the biggest lesson you have learned?"

Marvine said, "Treating everyone the same."

I asked, "Isn't that hard to do when some people are kind and sweet and others make a point of being mean and hurtful?"

Her answer made me think a little deeper. Her view was that it didn't matter what other people said or did it only mattered what she said and did. She was absolutely right. I have thought for awhile that my most important lesson is that I am only responsible for myself. Adding Marvine's thought gave that new meaning. It really doesn't matter what anyone else does. Being true to myself is all I have ever needed to do to be happy.

Harry has a special way of looking at things and is very accepting of his current situation. His most important lesson is that everyone's perception is different. One of his favorite past times is to ask people to look out the window and share what they see. He observes that no two people see the same thing. I agree with him and I believe everyone's view is based on their own life experiences. What makes his opinion so interesting is that his three siblings and two nephews have been blind since birth.

Lenore is a very sweet lady who enjoys meeting new people. She tries to communicate, but it is very difficult for her because she has a severe hearing problem. The activity director is looking into getting her a hearing aid. One of her favorite activities is putting together over one hundred puzzles, which are framed and adorn the walls of the activity room. She also enjoys reading Bible verses to people and helping them see how they relate to their lives.

Although this project is not turning out exactly the way we had originally planned it is giving everyone involved an opportunity to share and care about someone else. I for one am grateful that I took the risk to try something I had never done before. 




2 comments:

  1. Of course it isn't turning out how you all planned because God stepped in and re-routed your journeys to accomodate the needs of all His children. Isn't it awesome how the energy of your intents got put to use. I love the sparkle in life, and today you shared a glimpse of your groups shine with me...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God cheats just a little, having all the puzzle pieces in his hand. Can't wait to see how this little venture turns out!

      Delete