Sunday, November 25, 2012

Apologize please

As I have previously mentioned, as a columnist and free lance writer, I have written and had published almost 60 true life stories about local residents. Because all of my stories were approved by the subject before publishing, errors did not exist. When I occasionally misquoted a person I immediately corrected my mistake and apologized.

I recently had an experience that caused me to look back and appreciate how I had conducted myself as a writer.

A couple of days ago I finally read the article that a reporter had written, after interviewing people attending our Senior Citizen Thanksgiving dinner. I had been the first person interviewed so I was anxious to see how the article had turned out.

 Imagine my surprise when it said that I had moved from Ketchikan, Alaska to Grants, New Mexico in 1976. In one sweep it had eliminated my life from the time I was about 2 until I was 39. When the reporter asked me where I was from I in turn asked, "do you mean where was I born?", to which he answered, "yes". I then offered that I had lived in Cibola County since 1976. Never once did he ask where I had moved from. I would say assuming facts is a huge mistake for any writer.

Even though I distinctly remember telling him that I only ate at the center once in a while, mostly when they served something I don't cook at home, and he wrote I was a regular; I had no intention of asking for a correction. I actually thought it was humorous. Yesterday, I sent the man an email pointing out the error of his ways. His response caused me to regret that I had ever granted him an interview in the first place.

In his words: "Well , No one's past life was totally spelled out. I wrote down Ketchikan before Grants because you didn't mention anywhere else. How was I to know?"

Well gee Mr. Reporter man it was your job to ask! The mistake was yours not mine. Instead of blaming me it would have been nice if you had at least offered an apology.


No comments:

Post a Comment