Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gratitude

When I was 20 I never imagined the experiences that would fill my life for the next 50 plus years. The opportunities I have been given to aid in my growth are amazing. There have been times when I would have liked to change the circumstances, but I know that if one little thing had been added or subtracted I would not be where I am today. I am exactly where I am supposed to be and I am grateful for the journey.

Several years ago while serving as a member of a parish council I had an experience that has stuck in my mind. The priest asked us the following question. If your house was burning down (with the exception of living things) what would you save? Everyone gave a different answer, but the one he was looking for was- nothing. The most valuable thing we have is our life.

With all the devastating natural disasters that have occurred in recent years I often think of the survivors who have nothing left but the clothes on their backs. I wonder if I would be grateful for my life if I was one of them or would I curse God for putting me in such a horrific position?

There are many aspects of my life that I would like to improve, but generally speaking when I look around at the lives of other people my age I realize that I don't have a lot to complain about. I am grateful for every person who has come and gone and every challenge I have been given, for without them I would not be me. Most of all I am grateful for the opportunity I have been given to live a human life.

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends, family and especially to those loyal souls who follow my blog!

2 comments:

  1. I am smiling from ear to ear...my heart says you have arrived! Love you much!

    ReplyDelete