Friday, April 10, 2015

The power of suggestion

Some people can be talked into believing anything. As the famous Abraham Lincoln quote goes: “You can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.”

During anyone’s life there are a massive number of souls trying to get that person to believe what they believe. Often it is their perception of who that person is. Some people fall for it some don’t.

Those who do, live their life according to who “society” believes them to be, instead of who they really are. They never develop their own belief system.

Recently my blood pressure has been elevated for as yet, an unknown reason. When it got high enough to raise my concern I made an appointment with my new primary care person to investigate what is going on. He put a temporary band aide on the problem by adding another medication to what I am already taking. We are still looking at past records in an attempt to find the problem.

During the visit he ticked off possibilities that could be causing the problem, some not very pleasant. As I listened I began to allow my belief system to become disheveled for a time. I bought into the "what if", even though my intuition is telling me the problem will fix itself when I stop worrying.

I have been trying not to worry and keep thinking about the comment the good witch, Glinda, made to Dorothy; which was “You’ve always had the power”. Perhaps I just need to start using my power.

Many instances have occurred since I was a child which caused me to get sucked into other people’s beliefs. I had to fight my entire life to stop doing that. My life reminds me of the Bob Newhart video, STOP IT! I have been saying that to myself a lot lately.

Worrying never solved a thing and most of the time what I worry about never happens anyway. What a ridiculous waste of time.

So I am going to believe that whatever is going on with my body is a transient being that will go away when I stop giving up my power to the annoying beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment