Friday, April 19, 2024

Imagination

In encouraging my writing camp students to use their imagination I asked them to give a voice to something that didn't have one.The more interesting were a couch and a car. Below is my contribution: my dog, Ejay.

A Dog’s Tale

Hello humans, my name is Ejay. Some of you may know a little about me because my mom writes about me on Facebook. More than one picture of me has appeared there too. Most people think I am adorable. Wait, guys can’t be adorable. Maybe handsome is a better description.

I was born somewhere in Cibola County, New Mexico in February 2012. I don’t remember much about my first home or if I had siblings because I ran away from home when I was about 10 months old. I was picked up by animal control and spent three weeks in a facility that housed other dogs and cats. I was put in a cage with a roommate, waiting for my family to come and take me home. It never happened, although they were contacted.

Finally, an ad was placed in the local paper with my picture. I was apparently ready for adoption- yay! I thought, please someone come and get me. I don’t like it here. I will be good, I promise!

A couple of days later the lady who was to become my new mom came to check me out. She looked at me, I looked at her and wagged my tail- a lot! I was taken out of the cage and it was love at first sight. After all the paper work was finished, I was officially adopted.

After my new mom led me to her car I hopped up on the front seat to get a better view. As I did that my mom noticed a piece of wire attached to my belly. She was able to remove it and we were off to the office of the local vet for a quick visit and to get my shots. We also set up an appointment for neutering. I found out what that was a bit later. I will keep my opinion about that to myself. Finally arriving at my new home I discovered I had acquired a fur sister and brother. There was something strange about them though. They didn’t know how to bark and made meowing sounds. They did have four legs and a tail though!

I found that I had a pretty big yard to roam around in. It looked as if I was going to have fun chasing birds and wild rabbits. I discovered that, Smokey, my fur brother, enjoyed catching mice.

My first night in my new home was rather scary. My new mom put me in her bathroom with a blanket, food and water. It was dark in there and I kept throwing myself against the door in hopes she would let me out. That lasted one night. From then on I slept in a basket with a very comfortable pillow, right next to my mom’s bed.

I am grateful that I have had a comfortable home to live in and humans to love me. Thank goodness for the picture that connected me and my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment