Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Decisions decisions

When you own a house it seems there is always an unexpected expense that occurs. I just paid someone to repair a leak in my roof that was causing a problem with the ceiling in my living room. I have been putting off getting a new roof for some time due to continuing plumbing bills. That's what happens when you live in a mobile home that was built in 1977.

Since my divorce in 1999 I have worked my tail off trying to keep my house in the best condition possible. I wouldn't get much if I sold it and I couldn't afford to rent on a Social Security income. I am grateful that I can say that I owe nobody anything. I would like to keep it that way too as I hate to owe people.

I just got an estimate on a new roof. I need to come up with $4,333, including tax. I told the roofer that I will have to wait until next spring or summer to get the job done. I technically could do it now, but what if something else comes up? My intuition is telling me not to take that chance and use the next year to save everything I can get my hands on. I keep hearing my guide say, "you can do it!"

As a first step I will be opening a savings account earmarked for a new roof. It is the only thing that makes sense. I don't expect anyone to die and leave me money and I certainly can't count on my adult children to help out. Two of them don't even speak to me. Through trial and error I have found the best person to count on is myself and that is exactly what I am going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment