Thursday, February 10, 2011

Procrastination Causes Stress

Today I am procrastinating and yes it does cause stress. So why am I doing it you might ask? The simplest answer I can come up with is -fear.

Since my second book was published in 2005 I have been working on a manuscript. It took five years to write because I first had to live the experiences that I was led to share through my writing. This book is important and I know it is time to get it published so that I can take the next step. I intend to travel and write about people I meet on my journey.

It is not the contents of the book that I am concerned about. By the way, the official title is Journey of an Enlightened Egotist. It has been called several things through it's creation, including A Whole in the Middle and Cut out the Crap.

I have decided to self-publish this book through Lulu.com and that is what is causing my current procrastination. It is the literal mechanics of their particular formatting that has me nervous. I have never worked with them before and at the moment do not have the confidence I need to push the submit button. Computer literacy is not my strong point, partly due to the decade I was born in.

Until five months ago my daughter was the person I turned to when I had a computer question or problem. She is no longer available for assistance, which has taught me a valuable life lesson. I learned that depending exclusively on anyone other than myself is not a good idea. I just never know when that person will cease to exist in my life.

It was my goal when I got up this morning to actually push the submit button and get Journey of an Enlightened Egotist on its way. I distinctly remember uttering the words before I got out of bed, "Today I intend to..." I know the longer I procrastinate the more stress I am causing myself. As my deceased mother would have said, "Either do it or get off the pot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment